The hair industry is dynamic, creative, glamorous and fast paced and there are exciting opportunities for job seekers in hairdressing, management, sales, training, fashion and retail.
If you are looking to break into the hair industry there are a number of options for you to consider such as:
- If you are a college leaver and have an interest in hairdressing, then you may start you career as a trainee with a company who will invest time and money in training you to a recognised standard. In return you will need to demonstrate enthusiasm, ambition and a willingness to learn.
- If you have good customer service skills, you may start your career as a receptionist within a hair salon. This will give you an excellent insight into the industry and provide you with the necessary skills to progress into management roles or may motivate you to become a trained stylist.
- If you have a sales background and an interest in the hair industry, there are excellent sales representative positions with leading hair care companies. Working from home and selling into hair salons and businesses is possible. This is an exciting and challenging career option.
If you are a hair stylist looking for the next step in your career, you have a number of options including:
- Management of your own salon – combining your technical skills with a flair for management of people and figures
- Field sales for a product company where you are out on the road selling into businesses
- Training either in a college environment or within a product company, using your communication skills to allow others to benefit from your knowledge.
- Setting up your own business.
Many stylists simply enjoy the art of hairdressing and apply their skill and experience at fashion shows, photo shoots or even on TV!