Beauty Account Manager
Job Description (What the job involves)
Account Managers operate within the realms of retail sales and within the beauty industry sector are in huge demand by fragrance, skincare and makeup product companies. Typically within the beauty industry you will find Account Managers within department stores and retail outlets where beauty products are sold to consumers. But Account Managers also work remotely selling their product ranges into professional salons.
The Account Manager can be regarded as the brand ambassador and in many ways a spokesperson for their companies products; an expert in it's benefits and ultimately responsible for its sales on a local level. However, account managers can progress to being responsible on a regional, nationwide and even international level also.
A typical Beauty Account Manager would be expected to carry out the following duties :
- Have expert knowledge of the products they represent and be passionate about sharing their benefits to others
- Be passionate about the industry and their products place within the sector
- Demonstrate how a product can meet a customers specific individual needs
- Assume responsibility for delivering sales targets and associated key performance indicators (KPIs) mainly through managing a small team of retail consultants.
- Coordinate the training of retail consultants so they have high product knowledge of the product ranges they're selling and are equipped with the necessary customer service and sales skills to sell them
- Assign individual team member targets and motivate the team to achieve set sales targets
- Report on daily, weekly and monthly transactions
- Ensure their products are displayed in a way that is visually appealing and optimises their brands image and presence within the store
- Make sure stock levels are maintained so a good mix of products can be presented at all times
- Ensure the counter is kept spotlessly clean and associated equipment for demonstration purposes such as makeup brushes are properly sterilised
Skills and Personal Qualities
A good Beauty Account Manager will require the following skills and personal qualities
- Retail sales experience preferably within the beauty or haircare sector
- Some background working experience or qualifications within the beauty industry is an advantage. For example, makeup artistry skills for demonstrating makeup products or beauty qualifications for deomstrating skincare products
- Excellent communication skills; this role is all about building relationships with people
- Really good people management or supervisory skills for effective team leadership
- Good commercial accumen
- Numeracy skills
- Target oriented
- Passion for the beauty industry
Opportunities and Progression
Career progression opportunities for Beauty Account Managers are really very good.
Account managers can progress at the next level to becoming senior account or key account managers assuming more commercial responsibility for their products sales performance. Or they can progress into business development management roles with responsibility for the opening of new business opportunities and channels.
Ultimately Account Managers can aspire to Nationwide Account Manager roles where they're responsible for getting their product into department store channels (i.e. John Lewis, Boots), optimising existing commercial relationships as well as expanding the brand into new channels.
Many Account Managers also grow into closely related roles such as Sales Director, Client Services Director and National Sales Manager
View our latest beauty retail job vacancies
Potential Salary and Benefits
On average a Beauty Account Manager can hope to earn between £26,000 and £28,000 per annum basic. As its retail sales there will be numerous product benefits and discounts plus target related bonuses so that an OTE may be around the £33,000 mark.