Hair Salon Receptionist
Job Description (What the job involves)
A good hair salon receptionist is critical to the smooth running of any hair salon and is the first and last point of contact for any customer visiting the salon. In a typical hair salon receptionist job you would expect to carry out the following tasks:
Typical duties that a hair salon receptionist does
- Greeting customers as they arrive at the salon and making sure they feel they feel comfortable if waiting for an appointment, deal with their enquries and book salon appointments.
- Getting refreshments for customers as they wait for their hairdressing appointment
- Answering the phones and dealing with subsequent enquiries and bookings
- Retail haircare products and services - The receptionist will need to invest time in understanding the different services available and the various hair care products for sale within the salon so that they can give useful advice to customers and ultimately sell them products.
- Monitoring and renewing stock levels -you may be expected to ensure that front of salon hair product displays are properly stocked and look appealing.
- Scheduling appointments for the hair stylists - A certain amount of skill is needed to do this properly and ensure that the stylist's time is utilised well and stylists' columns run smoothly. The hair salon receptionist will need to know the approximate time that each treatment takes including how quickly each individual stylist takes to carry out their treatments so that sufficient time is given between each booked appointment. The receptionist may also schedule smaller treatments such as a quick trim to be undertaken during longer treatments and processes i.e. during the waiting time of a colour
- Sending out reminder texts, emails and calls to customers regards up and coming booked appointments
- Processing salon treatment payments
- Fulfill administrative tasks - such as helping print out staff rostas, work out stylist commissions etc
- Assist in keeping salon clean and tidy - for example by brushing up hair from the floor, keeping the reception counter clear etc
Skills and Personal Qualities
- A well organised person with the ability to multi-task
- Well presented
- People person with ability to work well as part of a team
- Professional manner
- Self confident
- Bright bubbly personality
- Translating client's requirements and meeting their needs
- Ability to deal with customer complaints and grievances
- Good industry knowledge
There are rarely any formal requirements in terms of qualifications but previous front of house experience working in a salon environment is desirable as is some degree of hairdressing knowledge. Some salon receptionists first experience of salon work may have been on an hair apprenticeship scheme for example.
Previous experience in customer services or qualification in customer services is also useful
As some reception staff will be required to carry out administrative duties some degree of computer literacy may be required and a familiarity with word, excel and other such packages.
Opportunities and Progression
Hair salon receptionists can advance onto front of house supervisory and management positions within larger salons. If you show a particular aptitude for business you may even find yourself managing a hair salon in the future.
View our latest hair job vacancies
Visit our career hub for hair salon receptionist career advice
Potential Salary and Benefits
It can be difficult to give average earnings for reception roles as it can depend on the location and size of the salon but as an average you might expect to get anywhere from between £15K and £18K per annum.